Tuesday, August 9, 2011

You Know You've Made It As An Artist...

...Not when your artwork is acquired by MOMA or your studio is visited by a curator from MOCA.....Nope, you know you've made it when one of your pieces appears in the Pageant of the Masters in Laguna Beach!
This happened to my friend Sandow Birk in this summer's version of the pageant and the theme this year is "Only Make Believe".
Sandow had FOUR pieces in the show, all from his "Great War Of California" series.

I had the opportunity to see the Pageant recently and believe me, it is NOT to be missed.
The Pageant is single-handedly the greatest living piece of kitsch alive today.
And I don't mean that in a negative slant at all. You just have to see it to believe it.
Bravo to the Pageant for including it in the show.
The crowd loved it.
And so did I!
vintage photo of the Pageant of the Master theater, abovethere is a nice profile on Sandow in OC inSite


No comments: